TEIN Flex Z Coilovers - SW20 MR2
- Worldwide shipping available
FLEx Z inherits all the features and quality of STREET FLEx but the adoption of a new platform allows its price to be set at amazingly low range. FLEx Z, of course, maintains the long-favored "Made in Yokohama" quality. Ride height adjustable shock absorber, fully loaded with TEIN's comprehensive technology, is now more affordable prices than ever.
Until now, all TEIN dampers can be disassembled for overhaul; Now, we introduce our new "Sealed Structure" for the FLEx Z. Below is a brief description of this new production process for our FLEx Z at TEIN HQ Factory in Yokohama, Japan. The top end of the shell pipe is drawn, oil & gas are injected then the opening is completely sealed by crimping process. This "Sealed Structure" process also reduces the production time, compared to the production of existing disassembable dampers. In addition, the pursuit of an efficient production system, such as the use of seam welding, allows us to drastically reduce the production cost.
TEIN Flex Z Features:
- Twin-Tube System
- Considering the use of larger tires/wheels and the lowered ride height, FLEx Z uses twin-tube system, in pursuit of ride comfort on streets.
- In order to maintain the ride quality on streets with rough spots here and there, a shock absorber has to have sufficient stroke, be low-frictional and move smoothly. As an oil chamber and a gas chamber are not arranged serially in a twin-tube system, it is easy to secure enough stroke.
- Also, low gas pressure keeps friction low. Its smooth stroke movement makes it possible to follow rough and bumpy road surfaces quite well, offering supple ride at low speed and stable ride at high speed.
- Full-Length System for Ride Height Adjustment w/Minimal Change in Ride
- Full-length ride height adjustment system, used for FLEx Z, enables adjustment of ride height by adjusting the case length, without changing the damper stroke length and/or spring pre-load. This has the advantage that the change in ride quality is kept minimal when the height is adjusted.
- This not only makes it possible to maintain a good balance between the low-down appearance and ride comfort but also provides more setting choices for sport driving as well.
- Damping Force Adjustable to Change Ride to Desired Settings
- FLEx Z has ever-popular 16-level damping force adjustment (comp./rebound together) feature with the use of needle valve.
- By turning the adjustment knob, damping force (stiffness) is adjusted linearly step by step, to change the ride and handling of the car to suit driver's needs/preferences.
- Use of well-reputed "ADVANCE Needle" at the needle valve for oil flow control secures sufficient damping force adjustable range.
- Compatible w/EDFC Series
- With EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller) series installed, damping force can be controlled from the cockpit with ease.
- Stepping motors attached in place of adjustment knobs control the damping force quickly and accurately.
- Use of EDFC turns 16-level adjustment into finer 32-level or 64-level adjustment mode (64-level only available with EDFC ACTIVE / EDFC ACTIVE PRO), to provide the optimum performance by fully utilizing the damping force adjustable range drastically widened by the use of "ADVANCE Needle".
- With EDFC ACTIVE / EDFC ACTIVE PRO, damping force can be controlled automatically according to changes in G-force and/or vehicle speed, to offer a very smooth and slick ride like never before.
- Some models are NOT compatible with EDFC series.
- Smooth Ride Height Adjustment & One-of-A-Kind Adjusting Wrench
- FLEx Z has adopted the new wrought aluminum spring seats and low-friction hard-resin thrust washers. These effectively reduces the friction with springs, caused during ride height adjustment, and makes it easier to adjust the ride height with pre-load on the springs.
- Shell cases are treated with "ZT Coating", a superlow-friction fluorine resin coating, which is tightly baked onto the surface in-house. This special coating provides superior protection against rust and high lubricity, for keeping a smooth adjustment for a long period.
- FLEx Z kit includes one-of-a-kind user-friendly ride height adjusting wrench. It has a 12.7mm (1/2in) sq. hole for attaching spinner handle and/or torque wrench for tightening at high torque.
- Included springs are made of high-tensile steel SAE9254 (tensile strength 200kgf/mm2 or over) and cold formed for excellent resistance to sagging and for superior quality stability.
- Surface is powder coated for superb protection against chipping & peeling, for high durability and for superior anti-corrosion performance. High-quality spring can be used under various conditions without any worry.
- The most suitable shape of spring (straight or barrel-shaped) is determined for each vehicle model, to provide wide ride height adjustable range and to secure sufficient stroke without compromising ride comfort.
- High-Spec Damper Oil
- Specially-formulated high-spec oil exhibits stable viscosity characteristics at any temperature; from low to high, to allow shock absorbers to stroke smoothly and to generate damping force stably under various conditions.
- The oil has superior anti-foaming characteristics hence the bubble cavitation and/or thermal degradation hardly occurs, making it even suitable for tough sport driving. The oil also does not deteriorate much with age, making it possible to maintain and deliver superior performance for the long term.
- Front Spring Rate: 4.0 kgf/mm (224 lbs/in)
- Rear Spring Rate: 8.0 kgf/mm (448 lbs/in)
- Minimum Ride Height Front: -35mm (-1.4 inches)
- Minimum Ride Height Rear: -44mm (-1.7 inches)
- Upper Mounts:Pillow Ball
- (2) New front endlinks
Toyota MR2 SW20 1989-1999 JDM / USDM
If you bought these coilovers used or need a replacement front endlink see here: These coilovers require a custom front endlink and the stock length rear SW20 endlink. The custom front endlink is available here: FRONT TEIN ENDLINK.
Product photos for reference only. Actual product may vary.